Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Almost not a day goes by...

Today I was struggling a bit. Woke up in a decent time, went running and after that I tried to write. Nothing happened, nothing. I just couldn't come up with anything. Of course this was probably because I was trying to force it. We have still been missing one certain kind of song that is needed for the album, and as these kind of songs really don't come that naturally to me I think I was pushing it too hard. Then I took a break and did something totally unrelated, came back at 22:00 and at 23:00 I had the intro, riff, verse and chorus written. Which is nice, I thought I would really have to fight with this one, but no. So, I'd say there's 11&1/2 songs written. I'm pretty much aiming for 13, then I think I should be set. No use to write 20 songs if only 10-12 are going to be on the album anyway.

I actually discussed this with Timo at some point when we were writing something together. We don't really write any "filler" songs, and for one reason and one reason only: If it doesn't sound good enough and interesting enough after a try or two then we just move on and leave it behind. No use in wasting time writing something that is going to be at best "ok".  Just move on and try to write something that is interesting enough and touches a nerve somewhere.

I am actually really excited to see what will come out of this album. I of course think the songs sound great already as demos, but then again I am totally biased and disqualified to judge them since they are mine. Every parent thinks their children are special, which is bullshit :)

21 comments:

  1. True that last part, but all of your songs are great. It won't be different now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so fucking pumped for this new album haha! Maybe you will give us a teaser or clip of a song soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful and optimistic the last sentence! Actually not every parent thinks that his kid is special, unfortunately, though it has to be so, it gives wings from the very beginning of life. Not sure which way this relates to songwriting :D, but I'm pretty sure all the new songs are winged enough :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that just goes to show that not every parent is a moron :) Not every child can be special. If everyone is special then no one is special. Are every adult special as well? (This is the point where if you want to be all lovey-dovey and claim that every politician, streetweeper, hobo, storeclerk and whatnot are special is where I find fallacy in your logic). Not every person is special, that's a fact. Or then we just see things differently. BUT, if every kid is special and every adult is not, then where is the point where the kid loses the "speciality" and becomes a boring fucking everyman? Just wondering, there's what, 6 billion+ people here, and I'll be fucking damned if they are all special. I've seen wallpaper more interesting than some people. Call me a cynic if you will, and I'm not claiming to be special in any way myself (well, maybe a "Special needs child"), but fuck me running if all the 6 billion+ people are special :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, there is logic in your words, but I meant the approach to child-rearing.
      Remember in the movie "Corrina, Corrina" (a good movie by the way), the nanny tells to the little girl to remember she is "Molly Singer and there is no one in the world better than she is". This is a correct approach, I think. Lack of unconditional parental love can lead to an extremely low self esteem, inferiority complex, self-rejection and so on. The child is considered to be special because the child is loved.
      I've expressed myself pretty superficially but anyway...
      And what do you mean when you say "special"? Do you mean a child prodigy as young Mozart? :)

      Delete
    3. I don't think you deserve the word "cynic" as you used to, remember how you used to write back in the '12 around this time? Now you're just such a nice person and not as much a fun one. Not that we really have a problem with that, do whatever you wish :)

      Delete
  4. Is it you and Timo only to write all songs or are more guys involved?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So far Timo has co-written 2 songs with me, rest are mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe that song requires more time to make it like you want.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Railio told me one good phrase, that fits in this "special" thing.

    "You can't be yhe best, but you can try your best"

    And I think that's kinda cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been curious, who's CO's band leader? You or Timo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on, would there be consequences if you spill a little secret (if that is even a secret)? Lying makes baby Jesus cry :)

      Delete
    2. you mean Tony Kakko?

      Delete
  9. I really appreciate the fact that you don't just throw random songs to put together an album. Most albums have 2-3 decent songs at best while the others are just fillers destined to oblivion. This quest for the absolute best makes me believe that the new songs sound great indeed. I'm really curious regarding what kind of song was missing, but I guess that's a secret for now. Which type of songs come naturally to you? The ones that you write connecting to emotions? Or does it come easily to make up stories that touch a nerve too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a secret. We were missing one really fast song, think "Dawn of Solace" in terms of speed. Actually a lot of stuff seems to come pretty naturally nowadays.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for sharing! That one is going to be interesting. I wish I was so inspired as well. I guess the old saying 'practice makes it perfect' applies here. Either that, or you have some magic trick to feel tremendously inspired and write so fast :P.

      Delete
  10. Jani, whatever happened to quote of the day? They were always oh so inspirational ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just thought it got a bit old. Maybe they'll make a comeback :)

      Delete
    2. Nope, they'll never get old. A comeback would be fun. I'm looking forward to it :)

      Delete
  11. Jani, I trust that if you say that the songs are perfect is because they are :) I loved your first album! did not expect more than someone as talented as you ;)

    ReplyDelete